Saturday, January 29, 2011

My brother's 'O' Level results

  

  



    

    Whenever I look at my brother's crumpled piece of paper, memories of my brother's 'O' Level results Day would flash across my mind. This is him telling me the story...
“Kriiiinggg!!!” the alarm bell rang. I reluctantly woke up from my sleep. I was building sandcastles in the air and was getting to the climax of my dream when the alarm rang. I trudged out of my bed reluctantly trudged out of my bed and took a bath. I had gone out with my friends last night and had only returned after midnight. After I showered, I put on my clothes and got ready to go to my part-time job. I went downstairs for breakfast.”Why are you still here?” my mom asked. “I'm going to work soon. Don't worry, ”I assured her. She immediately put a frown on her face. “Today is the release of your 'O' Level results and you are going to work?” she asked. I jolted up. I had forgotten all about my results! It also happened to me four years ago during the PSLE results. I quickly changed into my uniform and took a cab to school


I could not wait to receive my result slip. However, excited as I was, we had to wait. I always wanted to go to Victoria Junior College and continue my “Victorian-hood”. After the speech by the principal, we lined up according to our register numbers. My name is Zhao Han, therefore, my register number was the last. “Best for last?” I thought. All my friends received good results. My best friend Chen Hao got six points and was bound for Victoria Junior College. Suddenly, I had doubts about myself because I only started studying three weeks before the exams. It was finally my turn and I took my result slip gingerly. I was reluctant to open it but Chen Hao cheered me on. I was disappointed to see that I had scored a meagre 15 points. I crushed the result slip.


I stood, dazed, holding the crumpled piece in my tightly clenched fist. I was dumbfounded. I did not know how to explain to my parents my poor results. They would be more disappointed than I was. I trudged home sadly. I wanted to waste time. I was influenced by bad company and went out with them. Whenever I did so, I would lie to my parents and tell them I had supplementary classes. I should have studied more ; even during recess instead of playing soccer. I felt like I had wasted my entire four years in Victoria School. I should have listened to my teachers' and parents' advice. Finally, I reached home and was welcomed with open arms by Mom and Dad. You were not home then. As soon as I told them my results,they let go of me and my mother slapped me. I did not blame her. I deserved it.


My parents scolded me and asked me to write a reflection of what I should have done and what I had done wrong. I managed to get into a Junior College and promised them that I would improve. All I had to do was “play hard and study harder.” I came up with that motto to motivate myself and tell myself I can play and study if I could manage my time well. Now, I am in National Service and I still carry that crumpled slip and my motto: “play hard, study harder.”

No comments:

Post a Comment